Sunday, March 1, 2009

Cooking for 2 - Chicken Kare-Kare


Kare-Kare is a traditional filipino dish compose of beef and assorted vegetables sauted in thick peanut sauce. The process of preparing this meal is so tedious that it is just serve during big gatherings and special occasions. However, with the help of an instant peanut sauce mix, I took the challenge of cooking this last Sunday. Since Mr. A don't eat beef, I customize my menu a little and use chicken meat.

chopped garlic and onions
Egglant cut in circles
Long greenbean cut 1 inch long
chicken cut into serving size
knorr kare-kare instant sauce mix
salted shirmp paste (bagong in tagalog)


Obeying the instant mix instruction, I first boil the vegetables and set it aside. Then put ovile oil on the heated pan, sauted garlic and onion followed by the chicken meat. Add little water after a 5 minuted then completely dissolve the powdered peanut sauce while strring it continously. Add all the vegetables and simmer for another 10 minutes. Remove to pan, serve with salted shrimp past (bagooong).


The end result tasted not so bad but I know I could have made it better. I admit that there are some lapses on my part - I put more water than instructed making the sauce not so thick and I overboil the vegetables making it soggy/ waterly.
Still, I'm happy with the output. Thanks Mr. A for having the courage to eat it with me. Hehe... :P

1 comment:

  1. Hi Beth!

    Your kare kare looks really delicious!

    I'm collecting a list of the best kare kare recipes in my blog, and I included your kare kare recipe (just a link though, hope you don't mind). You can see it at
    http://kumain.com/kare-kare-2/

    Keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete